Thursday, November 24, 2011

The quiet and the mild ---- Beili Liu

Beili's work is very pretty in my opinion, at least to my Chinese taste. But I didn't immediately write about her the first time I saw her art because I couldn't find anything very interesting to write about. And I still feel the same way: that something is missing.

Red Thread Series — Lure/Rise Installed at the San Francisco Chinese Culture Center Gallery. This is the first art installation of hers I saw. The beautiful red color really caught my eye, but when I tried to feel the inner emotion and the story of the piece, I couldn't feel a lot. It feels more like a professional art decoration than an installation? Or perhaps it's just me who is searching too much; maybe art can just be a beautiful form, and that's it, nothing else.
I really love the form of this piece called 'Miasma', the name of the piece is exactly what the piece is showing. So I guess she just wanted to create something beautiful, and that's the only purpose.
She is telling more of a story in this one. But emotionally it's still pretty weak to me. I do not know why; maybe I will feel it when the time is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment