Saturday, November 12, 2011

One of the weirdest ---- Phyllis Galembo

I decided to walk out of my comfort zone and write something about the art I don't like and I'm very uncomfortable with.

I believe probably a lot of the Americans will like Phyllis's work; just think about how enthusiastically Americans celebrate Halloween! All those masks and costumes and ghostly stuff. I'm not against that, I actually think it's kind of fun. But Phyllis' work is usually way more frightening and scary than funny.

She is very obsessed with mystic rituals in Africa and some other tribes. I think it's fine to show those people's mystic masques and clothing style in her art, but somehow she always alters it a bit and creates a dark scary scene like a horror movie. I'm thinking, "is it really necessary to add disturbing elements in an art piece to draw people's attention and arouse strong reactions?!"
My answer is definitely 'NO'! Maybe I don't really have the right to judge it this way since I never considered myself as an artist or one who knows very much about art. But I tend to like things that's more humble, quiet and under-toned. Especially in an art piece that shows darkness, sadness and sorrow; I think it's more human and natural, since most of the people in the world do not like to broadcast or even show a sign of their dark side. Most of us keep silent about these feelings, keeping them to ourselves and at the bottom of our hearts. If an art piece 'acts' the same way, I think it will evoke more resonance.
I don't really think the people in those cultures do make up this way in real life. The rituals are not about creating horror scenes and feelings, they are more about mystic power and submission. Maybe there is power but I mostly feel so frightened that I don't want to look at them any more. Or is it possible she is trying to show the person's inner soul through the weirdness of clothing and mask? There is no way to know unless I visit all those tribes and get to know their culture.
No matter what, I just can't get myself very much into any mask and custom thing especially when it's weird and bizarre.

No comments:

Post a Comment