Thursday, November 17, 2011

Dots obsession ---- Yayoi Kusama

I am not a big fun of dots, though I find them cute sometimes. I guess it's because they somehow reflect a little girl's dream land or wonder land: full of perfect round colorful bubbles.

And that is Yayoi Kusama's world. 'Dots obsession' she calls them. She said she's been making dots art since she was ten. I was very surprised because as a little girl I never even paid any attention to these colorful dreamy creatures. Maybe it's just that we are from different backgrounds.
It kind of reminds me of 'Alice in wonderland'. Bright, happy, soft, magical and a little mysterious. I definitely see a bit Japanese culture in it. Somehow Japanese people are very much into cute things, you can tell from many Japanese cartoons: Cute facial expressions, cute little animals, girls' cute tones of voice.
A bit childlike, but pleasant to see.
Some of her older works have herself in it. It adds a deeper meaning with her I think. It's more personal and more specific, it's like she's saying: this is my world, my only world and only my own.
The world is her and she is the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment