Tuesday, November 15, 2011

It's not always beautiful ---- Mowry Baden

When I though about art before I entered BSU and started to study about it I always thought about beautiful forms, colors, landscapes, figures, or any kind of abstract objects. I paid more attention to the appearance and ignored or was not aware of the further purpose of art. It is definitely more interesting and meaningful when an art piece speaks to the viewers and evokes some deep thoughts. But it is still important to me that the appearance of the art piece should also be eye-catching in a beautiful way.

That's way I don't really see the 'art' part in Mowry's work when I see his mattress series. This one is called 'ever pronating'.
And this one 'I can see the whole room'. The artist likes to create unusual spaces in his work, inviting the viewers to enter in in order to learn a weird psychological experience with his art.
He may be trying to communicate with the viewers through his art. But to me, it's more like experimentation; A psychological experiment.
The reason I say this is that he doesn't pay a lot of attention to the appearance or the object itself, he is more interested in the viewers reaction. Can an experimentation be art? Apparently! The definition of art is getting more and more broad that I doubt if art really has a definition or limit at all. That also makes it harder and harder to judge any art works.
This last piece is called 'Kinhin', I like this one just because it looks so much fun to walk on, and actually I am curious to try out a lot of his art pieces just because I want to experience some different psychological activities I never had before. It has nothing to do with 'the art'; or maybe the process itself is actually 'the art'?

No comments:

Post a Comment