Thursday, December 1, 2011

The attachment ---- Tadashi Kawamata

Somehow as I was browsing through pictures of Tadashi's work, the word 'attachment' came into my mind. Going through the pictures again, I had an even stronger confirmation of my initial perception.

First of all, I do like the scenes he created with natural wood, wooden chairs and crates. The massive natural scenes are very pleasant to look at. The artist is very attached to ancient or classical western style buildings. And the attachment is shown in his art: thousands of wooden objects are always tightly constructed in between, on top of or inside one of those buildings, attached to the aged wall or floor, eager to make a connection with or merge into the mother constructions (the buildings).
I like the combination of the western classical and the irregular arrangement of the nature (the wood) very much, probably because I am a big fan of ancient western architecture, and also because I am very obsessed with natural things.
I find comfort and warmth in this piece, maybe a little bit too much protection.
The beauty of his art is not just from the installation he made, the ancient buildings take a major part.
This piece is built connecting to a more recent building, I don't think it's as nearly as strong as the other pieces. It is lacking a 'majestic' feeling, like the heavy classical music from a gigantic pipe organ in a church.

No comments:

Post a Comment