Friday, December 2, 2011

The silky road ---- Akiko Ikeuchi

I did not know that silk is part of Japanese culture too, I guess it makes sense since it's right next to China and the culture must be greatly influenced. It is not surprising to see a Japanese artist's obsession with silk, but it will be a bit surprising if it is an American artist.

'Knotted Thread', 2009. Akiko's work to me is not extremely strong, but definitely breath-taking. The quiet and unique simplicity is due to the restrained Asian culture and personality (Japan, China and Korea especially).
I am very amazed that the artist had such enduring patience to work with extremely delicate silk threads to form these complex geometric forms. I have seen original silk threads myself, they are extremely soft and thin that one can barely see each single thread with human eyes. I probably will go crazy if I have to work on a installation like this.
I definitely think that every artist is culturally characterized just like every single nation. It is very easy for me to see the similarities between Japanese and Chinese artists. The 'romantic serenity or quietness in a very organized way' is the shared trait I see from Akiko's art.
You don't see a lot of crazy explosive emotional expressions from art works done by Asian artists even if they are trying to show emotions. It is always quiet and a slow development like creeping vines.

No comments:

Post a Comment