Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The rebellious ---- Banksy

I pay little attention to graffiti art, probably because I don't think they are serious. They are mostly temporary and the artists just want to have fun or make jokes. I guess there is nothing wrong with that. It's just me.

Banksy, the famous graffiti artist, made his fame with his unique, straightforward art and drew a lot of attention from the public. I do think he is very talented as an artist, but I don't like the attitude he conveys in his art. A lot of his works show a very negative attitude. Irony, anger, rebelliousness; to me, it's like a child yelling out his dissatisfaction without any smart solution.

A lot of his art makes fun of the authorities, British soldiers or guards especially. I don't know where the hate is from, maybe it's because I don't pay too much attention to politics. But I know there are a lot of people in this world have great anger and hate towards their government, I guess that's one of the reasons why Banksy's art acquired so many fans.
Some of the political ones, for example, the one on the left, are very hard for me to understand because of the culture and the different social system. But I know again he is trying to mock the authorities.
His work is usually dark, the opposite of happiness and content. I have to say he is really good at making a work that harmoniously incorporates itself with the surrounding environment and whatever is already there.
You can often see little girls in his art, a sweet little thing in a somewhat depressing setting. I can feel so strongly how the artists hates the world he lives in, and the authorities who he thinks is indirectly influencing his life or all the peoples' lives.
At least he is anti war, which I like.
This one is so depressing, but yet it may reflect some truth. Still, to me, it's always better to give people hope and encouragement than spreading negative ideas.
He does show witty humor in a lot of his art, and the works are always well executed. I like this last one shown here, it's like: I love you, with a short time limit. Very funny, but again, a depressing message. I guess art is just about expressing yourself, doesn't matter it's happy, unhappy, anger, or content. His art can probably make some people happy if they feel the same feelings. But people should always find the balance between peace and rebelliousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment