Sunday, October 23, 2011

Five artists

Janine Antoni: I personally don't like her that much because I think most of her works are way too self-centered. They don't involve a lot of other interesting things besides herself. Or maybe I just don't feel any connection with her or her work. The work that shows the most about her self love or self pity is Lick and Lather. When the two portraits were done, she licked the chocolate self and gently bathed the soap self. I can understand that she probably has some psychological struggle with herself about her appearance or something related. But to me it's silly to show such a strong personal self pity to the public. It doesn't contribute anything useful to other people or evoke any deep thinking about the world or anything around us. Anyways, this is just my subjective point of view, I may be completely wrong.
Eva Hesse, She makes beautiful things. Simple forms, fresh earth tone colors and delicate textures are the signature features about her work. I like how abstract her works are, they are usually dreamy and sometimes fantasy-like. I especially like how she always uses cheap materials and transforms them completely into amazing things. There are lots of possible ways for you to 'read' her work because they are usually not strictly defined by the artist. Or people can just simply appreciate the beauty it self. The work shows here is called 'Contingent', they are made of cheesecloth, latex, and fiberglass.
Caroline Broadhead used to be a fashion designer. A lot of her work still shows a deep influence from her fashion design experience; for example the piece shown here. It's like the patterns we often see on fabric, repetitive yet every individual is different. She made the patterns out of mirrors and put them on adjacent walls. Reflections, shadow and light, playing with each other, seems to be one of the things the artist likes to do the most.
Kiki Smith: I have to say I don't understand her or her work very much because they are so deeply culturally related. Ancient western myths, witches, sirens or death masks are the things I did not grow up with and hardly heard about in my culture. She is a weirdo to me with her mysterious and somewhat dark, creepy art pieces. They make me uncomfortable and constantly remind me of death. It says her work is about re-birth too; maybe it's all just in her imaginary world.The picture shown here is her work 'Sirens', bird men. I do not see a lot of hidden messages from a lot of her work; I think she is merely very interested in or relates to these kind of things personally and just wants to show them in art.
Tim Hawkinson, Uberorgan; It's an amazing installation with a gigantic size. The artist seems to be obsessed with biological organs. Imaging walking underneath this huge construction that looks like human organs; blood vessels, heart, liver hanging above your head: I would feel a bit disturbed. The artist chose a plastic like, semi transparent material that gives the work a floating effect in the air, I think that's a very smart thing to do with this project. Otherwise everything will look and feel way too heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment